Remember in school when you had a big assignment due & you re-he-he-ealllllly didn't want to do it? Your room was never cleaner. Your hobbies were never more alluring. And your books were never more organized (by publisher & then alphabetized--isn't that how you kept your book collection when you were 9?).
I am never more productive than when I'm avoiding something. Whilst I was avoiding being accountable & facing the music on my 5 lbs of creeping negligence I was EXTREMELY productive in the rest of my life:
- I learned how to make homemade whole wheat pizza crust.
- I organized our DVD collection in cute acrylic boxes.
- I started purging our house of cleaning chemicals & started making my own cleaners.
- I read up on milling my own flour, listened to a webinar on the subject & tracked down a new filter for the 1980's hand-me-down mill that I got from my mother.
- I finished our taxes.
- I tracked down information on dual flush toilets & got the parts for Dave to convert our master bath (which he did--if you're interested in making the switch, don't believe the lies about 10 minute, tool-less install).
- I got my kids signed up for their summer swim lessons & day camps.
- I peel-&-stick tiled under our master bathroom sink & organized all of the junk under there.
- I took to Pinterest & learned how to make my own "canned" beans using dried beans & my crock pot.
- I made orange infused vinegar for cleaning my wood floors.
- I started planning/planting our 2012 Garden Extravaganza.
- I finally went to the local health market (New City Market for curious locals) I've been meaning to hit up & realized that farm fresh eggs are only 10 minutes from my house.
- I moved around some furniture in the living & dining rooms.
- I organized the drawers in the kitchen & purged kitchen gizmos that I don't use.
- I started on our next project: a penny tiled desktop for the short book shelves in the kitchen.
- I didn't track my food.
- I didn't write a word.
- I didn't log onto my blog or Facebook page. At all.
- I didn't keep myself accountable.
- I didn't take the bull by the horns & stop moping.
And all of that energy focused on what I DON'T want won't help me get any of the things I DO want. I guess I'm just not sure what it is that I want--except to go to "The Hunger Games" tonight. I know I want that.