Thursday, December 30, 2010

The Face of Obesity


Share

Is this the face of obesity?


Yes, yes it is.  I have plans to change that, but for today, I'm going to climb onto my soapbox & preach something I am extremely passionate about.

One third of Americans are obese, so out of three people in a room, chances are one of them is obese (to say nothing of the other third that are overweight).  The problem is that we're not willing to acknowledge it.  Skinnies & fatties alike want obesity to look like Danny (430 lbs), Michael (526 lbs), & Patrick (400 lbs).  As the last three winners of "Biggest Loser,"  it is easy, comfortable & comforting to identify them as (formerly) obese.  With that visual in our heads, we can feel safe that we are nothing like "those" people (said with all love because I have nothing but respect for those guys & their hard work!).  It's the same feeling that you get watching "Springer:" I might be bad, but I'm not THAT bad.  Truth is, I am that "bad."

I, in this picture, am obese.  My BMI is 30.  I am nearly 30 pounds outside of the upper limit of a healthy weight for my height.  I am wearing a large sweater & size 14 pants.  I am 178 lbs.

I, in this picture, am not ugly.  I am not stupid.  I am not dirty.  I am not lazy.  I am not deluded.  I am not without self control. 

If we can't see obesity for the precise problem that it is, we can't fix it.  Obesity is not a character flaw, it is a serious medical condition, one that many suffer from whether they can acknowledge it or not.  I am thankful that I have gotten to a place where I can see obesity for what it is & put myself in a position to correct it on a granular level.  That is all that I can do. 

Sermon finished.

1 comment:

  1. You know? You make a valid point about how when we hear the word 'obese' we picture incredibly large, overweight people.
    But the truth is, I am classified as obese too (and what a shock it was when I realised). I am making steps to change that. And yet, when people see me, they can identify me as overweight, but are always shocked when I mention that I am obese. Just because I don't match the visual as pictured when obese is mentioned.

    With that in mind, I keep encouraging people around me to rethink their activity and fitness levels, because many of them also fall into the catagory of obese. And I want them to enjoy healthy lives for as long as possible.

    ReplyDelete