Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Oprah A-Ha Moment Volume 2


Share

If there was going to be a "Volume 1," I guess it stands to reason that there would be a "Volume 2."  My second Oprah A-Ha moment came just yesterday.  In her final season, it was inevitable that there would be a whole slew of lasts.  Yesterday was the last weight loss show.  I tuned in because I know someone that knows someone that was featured (the guy who lost weight to get a bigger you-know-what--per Dr. Oz you get an extra inch for every 35 extra pounds you lose...who knew?). 

I digress.  I had the TV on in the background while I was folding some laundry & I was actually feeling a little annoyed.  The people featured had all lost 100+ pounds...wait, I've lost 100+ pounds.  The people featured had all worked really hard...wait, I've worked really hard.  The people featured were all sitting on the Oprah stage flaunting beautiful hair & make-up straight from Michigan Ave...wait, I was sitting in sweats & a cami folding the aforementioned laundry.  WTF?!?!?

Then I started listening to the stories.  Each of the three women featured as individuals (one with her pre-teen daughter who has also overcome obesity) had one horrid thing in common.  Their journeys were born in death; mine was born in birth.  The overwhelming sense of blessing was a humbling experience.  Who needs new shoes & hair extensions?  No one had to die for me to turn my path around.  I don't have to live with the regret that comes with feeling like the new me came at the cost of someone else's life. 

Death & its reminder of mortality can be a powerful motivator & on some levels it's a beautiful tribute to a loved one to use their passing as the fuel to your fire, however I am thankful that I didn't have to experience such motivation.  How blessed am I to have opened my eyes through the birth of my daughter?  How thankful am I that she will be able to grow up to see the living tribute that I make to her & the rest of my family everyday, with every choice.  I can't imagine anything better--even those beautiful Louboutins that Oprah's always flashing.

1 comment:

  1. This brought tears to my eyes. I wasn't one of those people that had their "ah-ha" moments before beginning their weight loss journey. But thinking in terms of being a "living tribute" for my boys is one awesome motivator. Fantabulous blog post!!!

    ReplyDelete