Tuesday, May 31, 2011

What I Am


Share

I'm just as guilty as the next parent.  I stuff my kids full of platitudes hoping that in repetition there will be retention. 

"It's hard, but who can do hard things?  Lincoln can!"
"You get what you get & you don't throw a fit."
"Our family needs big helpers...where can we find some?  RIGHT HERE?!?!"
"When you yell/whine I can't understand what you're trying to tell me."
"Kind (friends/brothers/sisters) share."
"Do kids with rude behaviour get to ______?"
"Two hands.  Two thumbs.  And shake-shake-shake." (ok, this one bears explanation: my kid really refuses to believe he can dress himself & this is the mantra that developed to get him to use his hands & thumbs to wiggle/pull his pants up)

It occurred to me that (with the exception of the latter), there is a lot of truth that we big kids can glean from some of this stuff.  Character building: it's not just for kids anymore. 

Most specifically, as I was watching this video with Lincoln, I was thinking about what a great message it has & realized that every word is applicable to me. 


I'm the only me that can grow & change & nurture this life that I am building & it is my responsibility "to be the best me that I can be"--"it's up to me to try."  It's Personal Responsibility 101.

No comments:

Post a Comment